1200 Miles & a Cup O' Dirt & a little Mississippi Mud!

Take the year long challenge of completing a dozen or half a dozen dirty centuries and join the fun in December! Everybody who completes this challenge will be rewarded with a custom hand-made stoneware mug as well as be in a drawing for other prizes. Read the FAQ for details, and welcome to the fun!

I've increased the fun to give some more folks a shot at the cup - a bit 'watered down' - We'll have the 1200 Mile Cup O' Dirt and a 600 Mile Cup O' Mississippi Mud and new in 2008 is the 1/2 Liter O' Dirt - earned by completing 12 metric centuries in the year! A special award will be presented to anyone completing either a dirty century or metric century in each month of the year.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Well, That was a fun weekend!

No, I didn't get any kind of hundy in - but I sure rode my bike alot....and I got to meet Mr. Freakn-ride-his-bike-a-lot-nvrest-Dennis Grelk! What a treat!

Of course, his first comment to me, when I introduced myself was "Hey, you're the guy who always looses my e-mails!"

I thought that was funny!

So - what was he doing in Des Moines, and why did I have so much fun this weekend? Well -the newly annual great dirty stage race across Polk County... or at least parts of some little parks in Des Moines - With Squirrlies Quarter Rage on Friday night and Robbie V's Capital City Cross dressing on Saturday and Sunday, it was just like a freakn stage race across France or some such thing.

Near as I can figure, only me and Kurt Benson did all three stages (like anyone even knew it was a stage race) - but the Friday night $.25 rage and the cross dressing was enough to lure Mr. Grelk up here from SE Iowa. I was a little disappointed that he A) took to lots of pavement and B) rode his little weed-eater engine bike up here - so "No centuries for you!" - still, it was good to meet him and great of him to come on up for a couple o' days of good racing!

Now - there was some Cup chasing going on this weekend - seems the good Mr. Anderson was motivated to get his September hundy in - here is his report....

Dave,

Finished my September hundy this past Sunday. Did 55 miles of gravel via Dallas Center, Adel, DeSoto, Cumming and entered Waterworks park from the south. Then did 25 or so on the Center trails. Finished by heading out Booneville road to VanMeter and up to Waukee. Somewhere around 106miles. A good ride and route. I’ll have to find a way to shorten the first half and add more miles on the Center trails, although I think that 50 at Center would be my max. I was getting dizzy in Denmans after the 25 (dizzy in denman’s – sounds like a good song title).

Tom

1 comment:

Neve_r_est said...

Considering the logistics, terrain covered, and en-route repairs required for my weekend, I think it would make a good adventure race. Not that it counts for anything but here's the data from the tour part: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/email/accept.mb?senderPk.pkValue=85741&unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=6882883

Anybody living in DsM that claims they don't have any hills around to train on needs to try leaving the city limits sometime. F70 is pretty darn cool.

DG